White Collar Crime and Investigations
WHITE COLLAR CRIME
Lawyers to multinational companies, international organisations, financial institutions, senior officers and directors, sovereign states and high-ranking public officials, and in-house counsel, we work across jurisdictions advising on all areas connected with bribery and corruption, economic sanctions, money laundering, terrorist financing and fraud.
Our extensive disputes experience allows us to provide clients with strategic advice to address the legal, procedural, operational and reputational aspects of regulatory issues and investigations.
Members of our team have worked:
- with regulatory bodies and international organisations, providing valuable insight into the internal workings of regulators, their approach towards issues, and the sensitivities of dealing with regulators.
- on various international and cross-border matters in Asia, Africa, Middle East and Europe involving compliance advisory and regulatory investigations across a number of key industry sectors including financial institutions, energy and natural resources and technology.
We offer services in all areas of financial crime:
Anti-bribery and corruption
ANTI-BRIBERY AND CORRUPTION
The extraterritorial enforcement of international regimes like the UK Bribery Act and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act is on the rise.
Members of our team advise on multi-jurisdictional issues in anti-bribery and corruption compliance requirements, involving both international and domestic legislation, regulators and enforcement bodies. We have extensive experience of managing complex business and anti-corruption issues that arise for multinational clients.
- Corporate due diligence and internal investigations
- Compliance programmes and advice
- Training on and implementation of internal policies and procedures
The compliance and disclosure requirements under anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing vary between jurisdictions.
Members of our team deal with cross-border issues faced by global clients. Our work involves:
- Advising clients on the development and implementation of internal anti-money laundering policies and procedures.
- Conducting internal audits into a client’s compliance with applicable anti-money laundering legislation.
- Representing clients in money laundering investigations and seeking to negotiate the best possible outcome with regulators in respect of such investigations.
We advise clients in relation to possible exposure under fast-evolving domestic and international sanction regimes covering the UN, UK, US and EU. Members of our team also advise on compliance policies and procedures, conduct risk assessment of clients’ businesses and products, and prepare market access strategy advice to prevent breach of any applicable sanction.
We have experience of advising clients in respect of sanctions imposed in a number of countries including Russia, Iran, Myanmar, North Korea and Syria.
We regularly conduct internal investigations and advise on steps to be taken to address potential risks. We also act for corporations, directors, public officials and individuals and advise them on their response to regulatory and enforcement actions, address allegations of breach, manage risk of prosecution and prevent reputational damage. We possess the necessary experience and combination of skills to develop the facts in sensitive environments, covering diverse subjects and addressing issues of privilege and confidentiality.
Our investigations practice is well supported by our litigation team that has extensive experience in defending clients in high risk, complex and multi-jurisdictional actions.